Thursday, January 2, 2014

Hello 2014

Time for a quick recap of 2013, and some goal-setting for the New Year.  I find quilting goals so fun and invigorating, because I tend to actually follow through much better than with my typical resolutions (lose weight, clean more, etc) which are quickly abandoned.
Here's what I made in 2013:


It was a good year.  I met some goals: I improved my free-motion quilting, and I started teaching at Sew to Speak (yay!).  I've entered my work in shows, and I finished 3 quilts in the Tree series.  So, what's next?
2014 Goals:
1.  Continue to exhibit my work in shows- specifically MQX East, NQA, and the Fine Arts division of the Ohio State Fair.
2. Finish Tree # 4.
3.  Re-organize my sewing room.  I need better storage for my stash.  Currently I have these plastic drawers under my cutting table, which make great use of the space, but I've outgrown them. Also I'd like to organize my thread on a hanging rack.


 
4. Move toward making more original quilts, and defining my own style.  Ruth McDowell and Susan Carlson have been big influences on the Tree quilts.  I appreciate and admire their work, but now I want to move beyond that. I want to make quilts that look like me, and not like somebody else (well not literaly me.  I'm not going to make self-portraits).  This is a big goal, and I'm not sure exactly how to get there. And it's certainly not something to cross of the list in just one year. But if you don't know where you want to go, you'll never get there, right?
I'm linking up with Off-the-Wall Fridays.  Check it out!
Here's to a happy and productive 2014!  Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. You will find your style...it is a process and you have a unique creativity. I am lovin watching your spirit grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take classes, try new techniques and soon you will take bits of all of them and make it into your own style. Your work is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could check out my fabric org pics, I love my drawer units for lots of reasons. The series does remind me of Ruth. I say, find some way to change one part of the process and try it, then another, working small maybe, until you have made the changes you want to define your style. I have loved working in an eight inch format for developing series.
    LeeAnna Paylor
    http://lapaylor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have accomplish much in 2013. I have a tree quilt started so I am eager to explore your posts about that series. Hope to see more of you on Off the Wall Fridays!

    ReplyDelete