One thing I learned from making this quilt is how significantly quilting can change the look of piecing. I made the background of many different pieces, with complicated curved piecing. Then I quilted over it with different colored threads, but I did not pay attention to the piecing lines as I did the quilting, as you can see in these closeups. This blurred together the piecing. I think this could be a nice effect in the right quilt, when you want to obscure the lines. But in this project, I think it is a little disappointing. Next time I'd like to try to accentuate the piecing, rather than overpower it. I'm really happy with the way the project turned out, and I'm not trying to nit-pick it, just analyze it to see what I can learn for next time.
Another thing I learned was how to make my feathers more flowing and graceful. They certainly improved over the course of this project!
The edges of this quilt are really wavy, as you can see! I did block the finished and quilted top before putting on the binding. I used the method Ann Fahl explains in her book "Threadplay", in which you hold an iron just above the surface of the quilt and steam it. I think it helped a lot, but maybe next time I should do it to the top before quilting. And maybe I will try blocking it by getting it completely wet.