Wednesday, June 19, 2013

FMQ table runner

In a few weeks I'm teaching a free-motion class to some friends.  This will be a great learning experience all around- I will get some feedback on what topics to address and how to pace the class, and hopefully my friends will pick up some helpful tips.

I made samples of the designs we will be working with, and used the Quilt-As-You-Go method to join them into this table runner.
 
 
We will work on stippling,
 
loopy lines
 
and zippling
 
I tried taking these photos out on our balcony, because I thought the natural light would look better.  I'm not sure about the brown lawn chair as a backdrop though- too brown, maybe? 
This was my first try with Quilt-as-You-Go, and I liked it a lot. Leah Day has a great video tutorial on this method.  I'm not sure how often I'll use this technique though, because usually I make wall hangings, that aren't that big anyways, and hard to divide into blocks.  But it's always good to try something new!

1 comment:

  1. Your photos are great. The chair looks fine. Your binding is wonderful--as usual. Do take some samples of your work to the class. I think it is helpful to students, especially news ones, to see where this can go. Think about showing them how you started with the cucumber vine and morphed into the butterfly. I really like how you updated the photos at the top of your page. This blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete