Thursday, May 29, 2014

NQA show

The National Quilting Association show was here in Columbus, OH last weekend.  I've enjoyed visiting this show for a few years now, and this was the first time I entered some quilts. It was a big thrill for me to go and see them hanging up, and also to win an Honorable Mention for Tree #1.  The work of some from friends from AQA and the Columbus Modern Quilt Guild were also well represented.


It was a fun day all around, with my mom and sister coming from out of town to see the show. Dan came by in the afternoon (what a supportive guy!).  Our friend Derrick works at the convention center so he stopped by too. It is always interesting to hear the reactions of non-quilters.  They both were impressed by the range of different things you can do with a quilt.
 
Some interesting things I learned from this show:

I definitely prefer entering shows that are within driving distance.  It was great to see my quilts hanging up, rather than just sending them away.

I really love seeing tons of quilts in person, in a big range of styles. Modern, art, traditional- lots of quilts that I would never make myself but I just delight in looking at up close.  Seeing quilts in person is way better than in magazines or on blogs!

Winning a ribbon was great, but not winning a ribbon is fun too (good thing- the ribbon is an anomaly).  It was interesting to see the quilts under very good lighting from a larger distance and in a different setting.
 
The judges' comments were encouraging overall with some specific and helpful ideas for how to improve. Binding- you are my nemesis!
 
I would encourage everybody to enter their quilts in more shows!  This one is not juried; they accept the first 400 entries.  So go for it!

4 comments:

  1. Your Kwilts were awesome , the judges get just about EVERYONE on bindings! Sew just take the feedback with a grain if salt..preferably around the glass of a margarita! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. I agree with you that it's more fun to see quilts in person and to see our own hanging with others in very different styles. Sparks lots of creativity, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela,
    Hilary Florence here, You have just been over to my blog and left a comment, but you are a 'no reply' blogger so I can only reply by coming over to your blog. Dyeing your own fabric is great because you can get such a range of colours, shades and tints that all blend with each other - or not if that is what you want. It is very satisfying and works out a lot cheaper!
    I can see why lush colours of fabrics are your favorite design element. Your trees are fantastic. Both your pieced version and the 'snippet' version are very impressive and your ribbon well deserved. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. Awesome tree for your first show.

    ReplyDelete